Mulliner Develops 22â€ Carbon Fibre Wheel For Bentley Bentayga
Here are the key highlights:
- 22â€ Mulliner carbon wheel will be the largest carbon wheel in production
- Weight saving of 6 kg per wheel, unsprung mass, compared to aluminium
- Developed in conjunction with leading composite manufacturer, Bucci composites
- Five years of engineering delivers first carbon wheel to pass TÃœV testing
- Innovative processes ensure repeatable high-quality components utilising RTM (Resin Transfer Moulding) technology
- Increased impact safety due to material weave dispersing air loss
- Improved stiffness equivalent to 1Â° in camber per 1G of force
- Reduced tyre wear due to stiffness of the wheel
- Available to order through Mulliner later this year
After years of development with one of the worldâ€™s leading composite suppliers, Bentley is today announcing a new carbon fibre wheel developed specifically for the Bentayga. The 22â€ carbon wheel, engineered with renowned specialists Bucci Composites, is to be the largest carbon wheel in production in the world and offers a vast range of benefits beyond the initial 6 kg improvement in unsprung mass per wheel.
The new carbon wheel has been subjected to the exceptionally rigorous TÃœV (Technischer Ãœberwachungsverei – Technical Inspection Association) standards and is the first carbon wheel ever produced to pass all tests. The newly developed rim has undergone the most rigorous testing for non-metallic wheels according to the new TÃœV standards including biaxial stress testing, radial and lateral impact testing for simulating potholes and cobblestones, tyre overpressure, and excessive torque tests exceeding the permitted limits.
One of the most severe tests of the TUV requirements â€“ the impact test – Â has shown how the carbon rim is extremely safe in addition to the performance benefits. After a severe impact that would crack or shatter an aluminium wheel, causing the tyre to collapse explosively, the carbon fibre rim allows a slow tyre deflation thanks to the intelligent layering of fibre weaves, allowing the vehicle to come to a controlled, safe stop.
For the final sign off stage, the wheel was put through its paces on one of the most famous tracks in the world – the NÃ¼rburgring Nordschleife.
The Technological Benefits of Composite Wheels
Carbon fibre not only provides a significant weight saving but also offers the additional benefits of increased strength and stiffness. This leads to a number of fundamental benefits:
- Increased safetyÂ â€“ when the rim receives a high impact, the weave pulls apart leaving openings to allow gradual air loss rather than instant deflation like an aluminium rim.
- Increased steering agility â€“ the 6 kg weight saving and the high stiffness afforded by the properties of carbon fibre mean a more stable and consistent steering platform. In comparison, a forged aluminium rim can lose up to a degree of camber due to wheel flex, reducing grip and agility.
- Improved and more responsive brakingÂ thanks to the decrease in unsprung mass.
- Reduced tyre wearÂ – Since the stiffer carbon rim does not suffer from the same amount of bending, it allows for greater tyre stability and a more consistent contact patch thanks to a larger tyre support surface.
Innovative Production Processes
One of the main innovations lies in the rim manufacturing process, which involves the application of innovative concepts (covered by patents) combined with the use of high-pressure RTM (Resin Transfer Moulding). The materials and production parameters have been carefully studied to ensure the repeatability of the product without affecting its quality.
The process involves the cutting of carbon fibre cloth into prescribed shapes. The weave segments are then stacked, heated and draped into a mould to create three-dimensional preforms. The preforms are collated and arranged into a larger mould before resin and hardener are injected throughout. After curing time at temperature, the component assembly is removed from the mould, and the final surfaces are machined to the correct finish, before polishing.
New Mulliner Products for the Future
This collaboration with a world-leading composites supplier underlines Mullinerâ€™s key principle in offering Bentleyâ€™s customers new and unique features. The new 22â€ carbon wheel is the perfect complement to Bentleyâ€™s existing carbon fibre products, including the highly sought-after Styling Specification which adds a carbon front splitter, sill extensions and rear diffuser to the Bentayga, and the option of high gloss carbon fibre veneer to the interior.
The new wheel will be available to order in late 2021.