GMC Continues the Electric Truck Revolution: Introducing the First-Ever 2024 Sierra EV
GMC’s introduction of the first-ever Sierra EV marks a turning point for the premium truck brand, as it expands its portfolio of all-electric trucks. Led by the 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1, it offers uncompromising pickup capability, a GM-estimated 640 KM (400 miles) of range1 on a full charge and unique features made possible only by its dedicated EV truck platform.
“The GMC Sierra has been a household name across the region since its introduction and we will now be bringing its EV iteration to the region, making no compromise on hauling, towing, and power, as our regional GMC fans would expect,” said Farah Amhaz, Head of Product Marketing General Motors Africa & Middle East. “The Sierra EV boasts everything the Sierra is known and loved for, just in an electrified package that will be able to tackle the dunes and offer its driver the premium capability GMC is known for.”
GMC will be the only brand to offer three all-electric trucks, with the Sierra EV joining the much-anticipated GMC HUMMER EV Pickup and SUV2. Underpinning these three trucks is GM’s groundbreaking Ultium Platform, which enables incredible versatility and optimal performance in an all-electric truck.
“The GMC Sierra EV Denali will offer the very latest in technology, capability, and luxury, delivered in a way only GMC can do,” said Amhaz. “From the HUMMER EV super truck to the first-ever Sierra EV, we are writing the next chapter as a premium truck and SUV brand, globally and right here in the Middle East, where we are committed to bringing the latest and greatest to our line-up.”
The 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 breaks new ground for GMC in four key areas:
– GM-estimated range of 640 KM (400 miles) (640 km)1on a full charge
– GM-estimated 754 horsepower and 785 lb.-ft. of torque in Max Power mode
– Onboard Power Station Pro turns Sierra EV Denali into a mobile power source, with up to 10.2kW of off-board power that can be used in a variety of situations3.
– 800 Volt DC Public Fast Charging capable at up to 350kW, enabling up to 100 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes4 — the best charging capability in the EV truck segment
– 8-inch-diagonal freeform infotainment5 touchscreen — the largest ever in a Sierra
– Customizable drive modes, including Max Power mode, which enables 0-100 km/h (0-60-mph) acceleration in less than 4.5 seconds (GM estimate)
– Air Ride Adaptive Suspension that both enables a more comfortable ride as well as the ability to raise or lower the truck by approximately 2-inches.
– EV-enabled propulsion technologies including Regen on Demand Braking5, One-Pedal Driving6 and 4-Wheel Steer with CrabWalk7.
– Versatility and next-generation GMC functional design enabled by the Ultium Platform
– GMC-first MultiPro Midgate™ expandable bed offers room for hauling longer items, while still enabling room for a rear-seat passenger
– eTrunk™ increases cargo room capability with lockable, weatherproof compartment at the front of the vehicle
– Up to 9,500 pounds (4,309 kg) max towing capacity8
Modern Luxurious Appointments
– Authentic premium materials including grain-matched open-pore wood (including a wood veneer induction wireless charger9), aluminum, etched stainless steel and more that customers have come to expect from the Denali name
– Bold, all-new design features including a panoramic fixed glass roof
– A sleek, modern interior crafted with exceptional attention to detail from seat stitching that invokes the bold lines of the truck’s profile to a streamlined dashboard lay the foundation for the future of the brand
The 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1’s Ultium battery pack enables its GM-estimated driving range of 640 km (400 miles)1 on a full charge. It is also a structural element of the vehicle, which contributes to its overall strength, durability and performance. Furthermore, the placement of the battery pack lowers the truck’s center of gravity, while enhancing ride comfort and driving confidence on and off the road.
Front and rear electric drive units channel a GM-estimated 754 horsepower and 785 lb.-ft. of torque to the wheels via an e4WD system in Max Power mode, giving the truck exceptional traction and capability in almost every driving scenario.
The foundation of the all-new Sierra EV’s range, performance and capabilities is the revolutionary Ultium Platform, first seen on the GMC HUMMER EV supertruck. After the launch of the Sierra EV Denali Edition 1, GMC will introduce additional trims with a selection of ranges and trailering ratings.
Additionally, the 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1’s Power Station Pro allows the truck to be used as a mobile power source in multiple situations. With the available Ultium Power Bar accessory, the 2024 Sierra EV offers 10.2kW of off-board power through up to 10 outlets that can help power tools and other accessories on the trail or at a campsite, as needed. When properly equipped, the Sierra EV Denali’s Power Station Pro can even power another EV.
This off-board power capability means that with the right configuration, such as a bi-directional charger and additional products and services offered through GM Energy’s Ultium Home line, the Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 can power a home’s essential devices and services, when properly equipped necessities, for up to 21 days collectively10.
When it comes to charging performance, the 2024 Sierra EV Denali includes a 19.2kW onboard AC charging module for home and public charging. It also features 800V DC Public Fast Charging capability of up to 350kW, enabling approximately 160 KM (100 miles) of range to be added in only 10 minutes4.
The Sierra EV offers the brand’s latest charging, infotainment and propulsion technologies that work holistically to help enhance and optimize every drive.
It all starts when the driver enters the vehicle. With Hands-Free Start, the vehicle turns on after the driver enters with a key fob. Once in the vehicle, the driver simply has to put their foot on the brake and put the vehicle into gear and they are ready to go. Simple and intuitive11.
The driver is also welcomed by the bold animation of the Sierra EV Denali Edition 1’s multiple high-resolution display screens, the center point of which is a large, 16.8-inch-diagonal freeform touchscreen5. It’s the first portrait-oriented screen for GMC.
The touchscreen offers a user-friendly, freeform, customizable experience where icons can be organized similar to a smartphone, while keeping common buttons easily accessible. The screen can also be “split” to operate up to three apps simultaneously. And with GM’s Ultifi vehicle software platform, new features, apps and experiences can be downloaded over the air for greater personalization12.
Additionally, in the 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1, the central 16.8-inch-diagonal screen is paired with an 11-inch-diagonal reconfigurable driver information center and a multi-color Head Up Display offering 14 diagonal inches of view. It all adds up to more than 40 diagonal inches of digital displays providing ease of use and confident command for the driver. Further supporting that confidence are up to 14 available camera views13 to enhance visibility around the vehicle.
Customers have even more control over their driving experience with technologies enabled by the versatility of the Ultium Platform, including:
– Customizable Drive Modes – enable the driver to adjust steering, suspension, propulsion sound and power settings for the ultimate personalized driving experience. These modes include:
- – Standard
- – Tow/Haul
- – Off-Road – for when the pavement ends
- – My Mode – a fully customizable experience for the driver
- – Max Power – a thrilling amount of EV torque enables 0-60 mph acceleration in under 4.5 seconds (GM estimate)
– 4-Wheel Steer enables all four wheels to work together for a smaller turning circle and improved maneuverability.
– CrabWalk, a GMC-exclusive diagonal-drive feature that, at low speeds, turns the rear wheels in unison and at the same angle as the front wheels, allowing diagonal movement of the vehicle7.
– Variable Regen on Demand Braking14 converts the kinetic energy of the vehicle’s forward momentum into electricity that’s stored in the battery pack to help improve driving range
– One-Pedal Driving15, which can slow the vehicle to a full stop, using only the accelerator.
Functional innovations enabled by the Ultium Platform provide unprecedented flexibility and versatility for hauling and cargo stowage never before available in a Sierra.
“Without the need to work around a conventional propulsion system, there was an exciting opportunity to reimagine the Sierra EV with a refined yet bold, next-generation modern style and functionality,” said Sharon Gauci, Executive Director, Buick and GMC Design. “The Ultium Platform allowed us to design what a truck can offer differently when it comes to appearance, spaciousness and capability. It was an important goal for Sierra EV to be visually distinctive yet maintain the essence of GMC and this can be seen in many elements inside and out. For example the powerful front shield and strong, sculpted GMC profile continuous body side with machined detailing.”
The 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 has a bold, forward-looking, and ultra-premium aesthetic that announces a new era for the brand’s design language, including a new interpretation of the GMC grille, which serves as an integral part of the sophisticated approach lighting animations, including perimeter grille lighting. Additionally, the Ultium Platform is integrated into the truck’s body structure, which enables more expressive overall design and a confident stance.
The Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 will be offered exclusively in a Crew Cab model with an integrated 5-foot, 11-inch cargo bed. Its storage capacity is maximized with the innovative MultiPro Midgate™, which provides 9 feet of storage between the cab and the tailgate, when the Midgate is open.
A 60/40-split second-row seat offers four configurations that allow users to haul gear or equipment while still accommodating a passenger, and an available tonneau cover allows longer items such as a kayak or windsurfing board to be stowed under a lockable, weatherproof cover.
GMC’s popular MultiPro Tailgate is also standard on the 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1. When this innovative tailgate is down, the maximum load floor length extends to nearly 11 feet with the MidGate down and the MultiPro Tailgate’s load-stop open.
At the front of the vehicle, the spacious eTrunk offers lockable weatherproof cargo space with two drains where the engine would be in a traditional truck, along with a 120-volt power outlet. The flat floor enables more storage space in the cab, including a modular center console.
GMC trucks are made to be used, and the Sierra EV is no exception. When it comes to the all-important task of towing, the 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 delivers with up to 9,500 pounds (4,309 kg) of trailering capacity8 and up to 1,300 pounds of payload16. A trailering package comes standard8 on the Sierra EV Denali Edition 1.
MODERN LUXURIOUS APPOINTMENTS
Distinguished by distinctive interiors, next-level materials, exclusive features and technologies, Denali has always represented the pinnacle of luxury done the GMC way. In the new 2024 Sierra EV Denali Edition 1, that signature experience delivers the height of premium in an all-electric truck.
One of those expressions is the all-new, panoramic fixed glass roof that stretches above both rows of the cabin, creating an open-air ambience and a greater sense of spaciousness. The roof is infrared reflective and has a UV coating to help keep the cabin comfortable.
The interior accentuates openness, with attention to detail that shepherds in a modern and clean aesthetic. While distinctive quilting and the embroidered Denali logo on the front seat backs will be familiar to customers, the Sierra EV Denali introduces a new rich quilting pattern invocative of the vehicle’s bold front end. This attention to detail and premium materials is carried throughout the interior from the precise finishing on the doors to sweeping lines of authentic open-pore wood on the instrument panel. Also new is an inductive wireless charger finished in the same open-pore wood, creating the modern feel of uninterrupted lines and surfaces.
The wood décor is complemented with aluminum accents and even etched stainless steel on the speaker grilles of the Bose audio system. Additionally, the electric vehicle sound enhancement technology, developed with Bose, elevates the driver’s sensory experience.
The 2024 GMC Sierra EV Denali Edition 1 will be assembled with domestically and globally sourced parts at GM’s Factory ZERO, Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center — a facility repurposed and retooled with a $2.2-billion investment devoted to EV production — alongside the GMC HUMMER EV Pickup and SUV. Future Sierra EVs also will be assembled with domestically and globally sourced parts at GM’s Lake Orion Assembly.